Sunday, March 08, 2009

Twittering: Catching up or leading the way?


While I have known about Twitter for some time, its only in the last 90 days that I have joined the 'band wagon'. So I am trying to figure out how early or late I am arriving to the party. I know I am not an innovator here, maybe an early adopter or could I just be part of the early majority. So I did a little research to find out how many people are on Twitter and heres where my arrival fits in. 

A February 2009 Compete.com blog entry ranks Twitter as the third largest social network (MySpace would be second and Facebook would be the largest in the world[3]), and puts the number of users at roughly 6 million and the number of monthly visitors at 55 million.[3] I am going to take the 6 million users number and think only about the 300 million people in the U.S., that will alllow me to fairly assume that 0.2% of the U.S. are Twitter users. When a technological innovation is introduced, not everyone adopts it at the same moment.  Rather, there will be innovators and there will also be laggards.  Based upon the examination of a large number of studies in innovation diffusion, there is a proposed a method of adopter categorization.  

  • the first 2.5% of the adopters are the "innovators"

  • the next 13.5% of the adopters are the "early adopters"

  • the next 34% of the adopters are the "early majority"

  • the next 34% of the adopters are the "late majority"

  • the last 16% of the adopters are the "laggards"

So while I feel I have come late to the Twitter party, I do feel good knowing that I am probably somehwhere in between an innovator and an early adopter. 

2 comments:

jake karger said...

How come there is only an early majority and a late majority? Perhaps the list is missing something in the middle: perhaps to be called average adopter?

bagels said...

mark, it really makes no difference if you're an early adopter, or late adopter- the point is your here!
Enjoy the ride, listen tpo what people are saying and contribute!!